Sunday, October 13, 2013

Easy Pumpkin Spice Play-doh


So this week is all about Pumpkins at my house so I wanted to make a Play-doh recipe to go with the Pumpkin theme. At first of course I looked on Pinterest for some Pumpkin play-doh recipes and I did find some good ones but a lot of them were edible ones that used pumpkin puree and other things and I really didn't feel like going out and buying ingredients to make a play-doh recipes. So I decide I would just use what I have at home and make a recipe. I always have the ingredients to make Homemade Play-doh so I decide I would just make that color it orange and add Pumpkin Pie Spice to the dry ingredients because I had that on hand.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup Salt
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tarter (found this in the spice isle)
  • 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice (or you can just mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger together)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  •  Orange food coloring (or mix yellow and red food coloring together)



 Bri is always excited when she gets to help cook!


The children can help with the first steps. Mix together the first four ingredients (dry ingredients) in the pan. (With the stove off)



Mix the last three ingredients (wet ingredients) in a separate bowl together. When adding the food coloring add two drops at first and if you want the color darker then add one more drop at a time until you reach the color you want. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix it well until smooth. (I poured the wet ingredients in while Bri mix it all together)




 Next remove your child away from the stove and  cook the mixture over medium heat. (An Adult should do this part).  While cooking keep stirring the play-doh until it forms into a ball.( I used a wooden spoon to stir because the mixture gets thick and the wooden spoons holds up to the mixing).
 



 Once it has formed into a ball take the play-doh off the heat and knead the doh until smooth( it will be hot so be careful and let it cool down for a while).



 Now it is time to Play. Set the materials out for your child to play. I also put out the letter C and number 3 cookie cutter out because we are also focusing on those two letter and number this week.






Bri couldn't stop smelling the play-doh! LOL


This was a fun Sensory project that is easy to make and bring out anytime!

 To keep the play-doh just store it in a zip-lock baggy or food storage container. This play-doh last a long time and is easy for the children to play with than store bought play-doh.

 Hope you enjoyed this post. Don't forget to share or pin this post if you liked it. Also leave me a comment and let me know what you think of the post!



No comments:

Post a Comment